I picked my favorite actresses, as in actresses I personally love or fell in love with--at some point--which does not necc. mean they are great actresses - though many are. (I love Liz Taylor and Kate Hepburn, for example, but I'm not "in" love with them like I am with Bibi Andersson or Kate Jackson). Also I've included the films I love them for. They are in no particular order.
Where applicable I have linked to something I've written about them in the past, or else linked to a recommended writer who may offer more about them than I could -- as when reading about Jane Fonda, one naturally reaches for the work of Kim Morgan, or if thinking Michelle Pfeiffer it's Nathaniel R. When it's Vera Farmiga, I like to think it's all about me... and Vera Farmiga... 4 Eva.
1. MARLENE DIETRICH - Morocco, Shanghai Express
2. Lauren Bacall - The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not
3. Cate Blanchett - Notes on a Scandal, I'm Not There
4. Barabara Stanwyck - Night Nurse, The Lady Eve
5. Jane Fonda - Klute, They Shoot Horses Don't They?
6. Vera Farmiga - Joshua, Down to the Bone
7. Naomi Watts - The Ring, Mulholland Drive
8. Veronica Lake -This Gun for Hire, Sullivan's Travels
9. Asia Argento - New Rose Hotel, Scarlet Diva
10. Natasha Henstridge - Species, Ghosts of Mars
11. Sue Lyon - Lolita, Night of the Iguana
12. Anita Louise - Our Betters, Midsummer Night's Dream
13. Kate Jackson - Satan's School for Girls, Thunder and Lightning
14. Kate Winslet - Heavenly Creatures, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
15. Michelle Pfeiffer - Scarface, White Oleander
16. Beatrice Dalle - Betty Blue, Inside
17. Kim Novak - Bell, Book & Candle, Strangers When We Meet
18. Bibi Andersson - Persona, Passion of Anna
19. Sandahl Bergman - Conan The Barbarian, All that Jazz
20. Isabelle Adjani - Camille Claudel, Possession
Damn, you see a trend emerging here? I'm seeing a trend emerging here.
Runners up would be: Susan Cabot, Lizabeth Scott, Ginger Rogers, Cathy O'Donnell, Famke Janssen, Darryl Hannah, Evan Rachel Wood, Linda Fiorentino, Linda Darnell, Martha Vickers, Gail Patrick, Anna Karina, Kay Francis, Mia Farrow and Linda Hamilton